Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Apr 2012 21:45:42 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Metal can around distributor cap...do you need it?
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

At 10:24 AM 4/5/2012, Richard Koerner wrote: >putting things back on. Do you need it? I assume it's some kind of >static-suppression device, but most modern radios

I think it's either AM radio spark noise suppression (along with the resistive high voltage wires) or protection for the unshielded part of the oxygen sensor lead, which is the only really sensitive thing back there, as far as I can see. I have real trouble thinking that the ECU needs it, even though it's by the taillight on the 1.9s (and my 2.1l has one, and its ECU is the other side of a steel wall). But clearly VW thought it was important, 'cause they spent a Deutschmark (or whatever) on it.

If you take the cap off every couple years, how much trouble is it really? My only trouble really is forgetting to install it and having to take the cap off again to put it on...

Yours, David