Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Apr 2012 15:53:45 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Trip Report, Baja Whales 2012,part 3, no mas....

After the the spell of the fabulous sunrise had waned it was time to take the tandem kayak down and go for a paddle. Rich and I headed out into the shallow cove formed by the sand spit and then we went around the backside of the island that the spit connects with unless the tide is high. We mostly paddled along the outer edge of a dense kelp that clung thick in the shallows, spotting some tropical fish and a few skates as well. In the deeper water on the back side of the island we saw darker fish and a few fleeting shadows of larger ones. We came almost full circle around the island and then carried the kayak over a narrow part of the spit to rejoin our little cove. We parked the kayak low on the beach to encourage others in the group to have a go, which everyone eventually did.

Relaxing under the palapa we read and chatted and just watched the show. A van pulled up behind us and a blanket vendor hopped out and opened his slider to display his wares. We shook our heads and said no but that made no difference to him. He spoke english pretty well and had a polished banter that would have served him well at many sales jobs in the US. His stuff looked better than I expected and he dug out colors and patterns to match what he could see of our vans. I was slightly surprised that no one bought anything and he finally left while promising to return in half an hour. A little while later another car pulled up and a vendor with different merchandise gave us a try. This time a sale was made. Happily, that was the end of it other than the first guy driving by again later and saying something I didn't catch.

Near lunch time a newish VW Jetta with Mexican plates slowly cruised by and down to the end of the beach, clearly looking to camp but finding no available palapas. As they were coming back by to leave I stepped out to see what was what. Seeing just a young Mexican couple and with no music blaring from their car I used my crude spanish to offer them one of our two palapas since we really were only making much use of one. I moved my van way around to the other side of our camp and the young couple settled right in to the end palapa where I had been. They had a lot of gear in that car and spent some time setting up a tent and arranging things just so, speaking little to each other.

I'm not sure where all the day went but I had a nice long siesta that helps explain that. The Mexican couple walked back from somewhere carrying swim fins and some scallops they had caught for their dinner. Our Kyong showed off a nice bucket of fresh clams, having tested the waters the day before and found them to her liking enough to gather even more this time. Rich set up his shower again and I had one, happy to rinse off the sand and salt of the last couple days. We all sat around the fire once more, with everyone sharing details of their lives and relationships as the night got slowly dark.

In the morning we packed up and got our usual early start, needing to do so in order to make our next intended camp with plenty of daylight. We stopped outside of Mulege for gas and then swung into the town for some baked goods and to change some money. A couple hours later we had navigated up the steep hills to the plateau of San Ignacio and I led the pack into a semi-famous RV park/cafe/bar/motel called Rice and Beans Oasis. The place was pretty dead since it was mid-morning and I dickered with the bartender for 5 hot showers, getting him to cut his first price by almost half. It cheered him up slightly when I asked whether the kitchen would be open for any of us to have an early lunch after showering. It would be and so we did. It all took a while and afterward I talked to the group about the schedule. I knew there wasn't really enough time to make it out to the nice camping beach at Punta La Gringa.

Freshened up by the long hot showers and decent food, we hit the road again and immediately came to the notoriously slow army checkpoint just at the north edge of town. There was a small line of cars ahead of us and nothing was happening in any hurry. When my turn came they all but waved me through without a word and then spent a lot of time on the rest of our party. Determined to make up some time, we drove the next several hours without any stops until just past the Guerrero Negro turn-off when the vast swaths of purple flowers coloring the normally dismal desert there made me stop. We got a few photos and stretched our legs before continuing. Another gas stop and another checkpoint stop before we finally arrived at the turnoff for Bahia De Los Angeles. I pulled over a couple miles later to talk again about the schedule. There simply wasn't enough time to make it to the beach camp much before dark and since we needed to get back on the road early the next day there wasn't going to be time to enjoy the place. We could either turn back now and continue north or stay on the road to the bay long enough to see the spectacular views of it from the overlook before finding a place to camp near the road. A show of hands decided it, a look at the Bay of Angels was on.

About a half hour later the great bay came into view and we pulled over into the view point area to get a good look. I was happy to see that the lighting was very favorable and we spent some time getting photos of the pretty islands in the distance. This bay is one of my favorite Baja camping places and I have been out to all the islands in my inflatable boats. It has been designated a National Marine Park of Mexico and a big marina development project was stopped, in part due to international environmental protests.

We drove the short remaining distance to the edge of town to fill our gas tanks and then turned back the way we came, watching along the way for a place to pull off and rough camp in the desert. We found one most of the way back to the main highway and we settled in as darkness fell. A million stars came out but we went into our vans calling it an early night after dinner. The night was very quiet and before dawn I awoke with the sense that fog had rolled in or something like that. It was misty out and everything was very wet. I went for a walk and tried to get a good photo of our impromptu camp as it got light out. Enough stuff was sticking to my shoes to make me believe it had rained during the night.

We struck out early once more, this time for the border and then home. On the main road we encountered a truck accident at a bad curve and then another and another. I guess it really had rained during the night, at least enough to cause trouble. The sky looked like more was coming and as we neared Ensenada it did. We stopped there to get our last tanks of $3 gas and then high winds kicked up as water fell from the sky in buckets. At one of the last toll booth stations we stopped to use the restrooms and say our goodbyes as the border was not far ahead. But when we got off the toll road and headed along the border fence for the main crossing the access streets ahead were too flooded and being blocked by a police car. We were diverted into Tijuana, to somehow try and find our way in the flooded streets there. We tried a few streets and made some u-turns when we couldn't tell how deep the water was. Finally we wound around and found ourselves in line to cross, a few blocks from the bridge that leads to the border guard lanes. The lines of cars simply didn't move. Something was wrong. I finally got out and spoke to the others, saying I was going to get out of line and go to the other main crossing point inland a few miles. Everyone wanted to stay with me so off we went to find our way again in the streets of TJ. Somehow we did it, everyone staying together as I twisted and turned following a few signs and my memory from some years before. We got into a line where we could see the border guards ahead and it moved steadily. We got through one by one and waited ahead on the US side for the last van, only to hear by radio that they were headed for secondary inspection so we all went our separate ways.

It was a fine trip and ended too soon. I am planning to do it again next March, maybe for a few more days or even an extra week. Thanks to all who made the trip into a fond memory of friendly times. Special thanks to James V for his talented use of his camera to help chronicle our adventures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/chimivee/BajaMarch2012#5721782974679929938

Mark