Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Apr 2012 17:54:46 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Failed Ca Smog due to Evaporative leak

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote:

> But I'm not going to complain about the non-factory installations being > turned down. We don't know what the pollutant engine does in that > non-factory configuration.

In a state like California, where they run a dyno-based emissions test, they actually DO know what the engine puts out in a non factory configuration, because they measure it, and in non-OBD-II upgrades they require it to pass a smog test before registering, just like any other car. The reason for not permitting anything but the ENTIRE system (from transmission to tailpipe) from being used when upgrading an older car's engine to an OBD-II engine is because one of CARB's stated goals is to get old cars off the road. They wish to force drivers of old cars to give them up by making them stay with older, more polluting engines until the lack of power/reliability/fuel economy drives people to get a nice new car that suits their agenda of having us all drive 30mph golf carts.