Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Apr 2012 17:40:39 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Failed Ca Smog due to Evaporative leak
Comments: To: Jeff <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>

I'm not in Calif... I often hear that "correctly" generally includes the stock exhaust of the new engine, that's what I hear. Just did a quick search and found this:

http://www.yotatech.com/f123/california-rules-engine-swap-105878/

>> http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm?PF=Y

"Replacement Engines Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block. If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change. Engine changes are a modification that must meet certain requirements to be legal (please see "Engine Changes"). "

Engine Changes Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle: The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine. " <<

That sound about right (it was dated 2007)? I'm not planning on moving back to the Bay Area but I am curious about all this.

Rob becida@comcast.net western WA state

At 4/7/2012 05:03 PM, Jeff wrote: >They do allow a cleaner engine into the Vanagon. I don't understand why >people continue to propagate that myth. > >The process is pretty simple... put the engine in your Vanagon... take your >Vanagon to the referee... if the referee determines that you have installed >the engine correctly and kept the emission controls of the new engine, you >get an approval. > >No politics... no greed... just the typical bureaucracy. > >Cheers, > >Jeff > > >-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >Rob >Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2012 4:20 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: Failed Ca Smog due to Evaporative leak > >The last few time we've been in SoCal (over the last few years) I could see >the mountains, it wasn't like that in the 1970's. >That shows that fighting the smog does work. >It does not justify the insanity of not allowing a cleaner engine into a >Vanagon (or anything), that is politics (& greed maybe?). > >Rob >becida@comcast.net > > > >At 4/7/2012 02:19 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > >Don.. > >the whole purpose of that entire bureaucracy is to create and justify >jobs.. > >nothing to do with what is reasonable and practical. > >Not *really* about smog ..that's just their cover.