Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Apr 2012 17:48:31 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trans fluid in coolant system
Comments: To: Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>

the best thing for washing off poison ivy oils is a product called Tecnu. It is much better than any soap. It is available in pharmacies and groceries in areas where poison ivy or poison oak are common, but the price is pretty high for the small bottles available. better to buy it from a supplier like Forestry Suppliers or Ben Meadows. Both companies are online, and sell professional quality stuff that campers use, too. Excellent places. Tecnu is still costly, but it really beats soaps, which don't effectively remove poison ivy oils, but rather spread them. Washing clothing with soap after poison ivy exposure can result in getting a rash or worse weeks or even months later when the "clean" clothes are worn again. Ask my wife, who is horribly allergic to the stuff, how I know.

We keep a liter of Tecnu in the van to wash both bodies and clothing.

I have no commercial interest in Tecnu, just a satisfied user. Oh, the USFS uses the stuff, and requires field crews to carry it with them in the field.

mcneely ---- Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > Dawn is also supposed to be the best thing for washing off the oils from poison ivy/oak before they can do too much damage, and a Dawn wash followed by a Selsun Blue wash is the best for bathing dogs.  Fortunately, I've been spared coolant/ATF in my hair, so far. >   > Stephen >   > --- On Wed, 4/4/12, fonman4277@comcast.net <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > > > From: fonman4277@comcast.net <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> > Subject: Re: Trans fluid in coolant system > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 4:01 PM > > > Yeah, actually Dawn works best. Found out the hard way years ago when trans fluid dripped on my head (and I still had hair) shampoo would not wash it out. Dawn did. > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone > > ----- Reply message ----- > From: "Jason" <uberhare@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Wed, Apr 4, 2012 15:34 > Subject: Trans fluid in coolant system > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Dish soap? > > Jason > > On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM, HotelWestfalia <zolo@foxinternet.net> wrote: > > Hi to all, > > > > This is a first to me.  The transmission cooler has failed, thus releasing a lot of oil into the cooling system.  Now I'm not sure how to rinse the whole system to get rid of the oil.  If detergent to be used, what kind and how much to a gallon of water. > > > > Also I was real surprised how expensive a new cooler cost, between 530 and 300 dollars.  I would think an external radiator type cooler would be cheaper and better for the purpose, as is used on other cars. > > > > Zoltan > Dawn

-- David McNeely