Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Apr 2012 18:12:36 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I'm back . . .A/C and beyond, window air scoop

That would actually be very uncommon. People talk about really hot, humid weather like that a lot. "It was 110 degrees with 100% humidity!" The example of 95F and 95% humidity would mean a dew point of about 92. Last year a dew point reading of 88 was recorded in MN, and that is one of the all time highest ever recorded for the United States.

I grew up along I-95 and remember driving home from afternoon welding class at NOVA in Alexandria and it coming to a stop at Springfield, broiling in the 76 Scirocco with no AC.

In more relevant news, I'm about done with an initial prototype of a window air scoop based on something I saw on the old Stan Wilder website years ago. The AC on my '86 is not working and hasn't been for several years awaiting an overhaul. I've always been disappointed with the airflow in the van. It's like, I just can't get enough to come inside! The low pressure area by the vent windows and front windows is great for sucking air out, but there doesn't seem to be enough overall exchange of air to prevent the heat from really building up inside. My prototype is 1/4" (maybe 3/16"?) plywood cut to fit in the opening of the westy sliding window on the passenger side. (Stan used plexi, and I will too if this works well.) There's a hole cut in the board and affixed to the outside of the hole is a 4" PVC "L." It's open end faces forward. The board is cut to fit in the track such that it sinks into the bottom track and slides into the front track, held there by the window slid up against it's rear end. Quite secure on bottom and front, and it has the screen behind it. My 1st test yesterday went fine. It really did seem to blast in quite a bit of air at speeds of 40mph or higher, especially with the driver's vent or rollup window opened to take advantage of that pressure drop. I just put some additional adhesive on it and a coat of rattle can paint. I'm headed toward Okeefenokee Swamp and Folkston Funnel in a couple days and will likely get a good chance to test it in more serious heat than I had yesterday.

Edward

At 08:36 AM 4/10/2012, Stephen Grisanti wrote: >Come August folks here would kill for 88F and 60%. 95/95 is not >uncommon at that time. When you consider my "95 Trifecta," that >temp and humidity while stuck in I-95 traffic, you might as well be in Hell. > >Stephen