Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:18:09 -0700
From:         Daryl Christensen <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: I'm back . . .
Comments: To: "fonman4277@comcast.net" <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

I personally am one who does not like the way the Zetec drives with an automatic trans... Yes, it does work fine in general, but it seems to "hunt" between 2nd and 3rd on the highway too much for me. Runs up hills in 2nd at 5000+ rpm at 50 mph or so and then drops into 3rd with not enough torque to pull the same hill and back to 2nd..etc...Around town its great and on the flats at 60 its fine..It's the in between of our hills in the west that drive me batty(er). Likely my lead foot, but my turbo Zetec pushes my 5400 lb rig to 100 if I want. Granted I only did one auto conversion but the customer was never happy with it. He freaked out when it went into 2nd on the highway for the first time and pulled over. I did do the mod of the governor too. My 2 bits worth as ymmv of course.

Daryl of AA Transaxle 425-788-4070 "On the cutting edge of Old technology" 86 Syncro Westy w/Turbo Zetec in the trunk 90 Doka Tristar w/2.5 Subie

I have an '85 Weekender w/auto, I'd like to hear mire about this claim the Bostig sucks with an automatic!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message ----- From: "Stuart MacMillan" <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM> Date: Mon, Apr 9, 2012 16:08 Subject: I'm back . . . To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>

Hi folks!

I see that most of the people that were on the list six years ago when I sold my '84 Westy are still on the list! Now, after a brief and expensive encounter with EVC ownership and three years of tent camping, I've purchased an '85 Westy. There is no 12 step process for this addiction, I've tried.

This rig is absolutely original with no rust and no dents, which is rare. It ain't from around here. Now I have to fix it up like I did my '84, and then do a Subaru conversion within the next year or so (the Bostig conversion sucks with an automatic I hear from those who know).

I was the second owner of my '84 when I purchased it in 1986 and had it for 20 years and 250,000 miles. I made the following mods:

Installed a sunroof in the luggage rack, and David Beierl still has it on his website (it worked great!): http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/sunroof.htm

Put in two 2.1 engines over the years, the second with the oil cooler and filter remotely mounted. (blew first 2.1 up: http://volksweb.relitech.com/21rodbrg.htm )

Installed rear sway bar and Bilstein shocks

Added VDO H2O temp and oil pressure gauges (and worried about low oil pressure until the engine blew, fat lot of good the gauge was)

Added the Stebro SS exhaust from Frank Condelli

Added cruise control-a nice aftermarket unit sold by the dealer at that time

Replaced horn with a loud one

Installed side door step

Installed three sets of rack brackets for using Yakima rack in multiple positions

Installed waste water tank from Eurocampers

Added second battery

Rewired headlights with heavy wire and a relay for higher power lights

Added programmable intermittent wiper relay

Installed another front table bracket by the door so table could be used outside

Added a Shady Boy Awning

Added the hitch and tail light adapter

Repainted the top and replaced the seal

Added captain's chair seats from an '85