Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:18:14 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: "Remote" Propane Tank Usage
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM, mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you are ranting about in this case. As the original > post mentioned, propane is widely used here in the US. This is being > done in a very casual way. I can buy filled bottles from at least a > dozen places within a mile or two of my house. In that same radius there > are thousands of backyard BBQ with those tanks in use. You don't need a > permit to use it, no one checks your BBQ hookup for safety, you don't > have to show ID to buy it. It is not treated as especially dangerous > when used OUTSIDE. > > The stock Westy tank has safety advantages and is installed such as to > meet certain regulatory compliance so the vehicles could be sold as > meeting that compliance. You don't need or want to meet that yourself, > so you don't. There are risks to what you are doing and you knowingly > choose to take those risks. Go for it. > > Mark > > > Don Hanson wrote: > >> >> World-wide, propane is widely used. Most other countries do not treat >> it as if it's as potentially lethal as say Nuclear Waste, like we seem to >> do here in the US. >> > > > On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Chris S<szpejankowski@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> It seems like propane tanks are widely available in the US. Everyone >>> from >>> a grocery store to a gas station has them. Has anyone removed their >>> on-board tank and adapted their Westfalia system to work with those >>> tanks? >>> I would seem one would mount the regulator, a shut-off valve and a >>> connector in the place of the existing Westfalia tank. >>> >>> -- >>> Chris S. >>> "No solution is too complex to be executed incorrectly" >>> >>> >> Hardly a rant. I've just encountered regulatory restrictions that seem sort of silly, when taken in context of the Rest Of The World and how they seem to do it.

Such as now every tank that is filled in the US (or at least in California and Oregon) needs a OPD valve on the top and there are restrictions as to the age of tanks, etc. You can not get a tank filled without the OPD valve top anymore.... When I wanted to buy some of those fittings, to retro-fit my perfectly good tanks, I was told it isn't allowed, I would have to buy all new tanks. We have a lot of propane tanks amongst all our vehicles and trailers..but none of them can now be filled because they don't have the approved OPD (Overfill Protection Device) valve... So I guess we'll have to buy more tanks and try to dispose of our perfectly functional old ones...That is the 'rant' if you want to assign that word to questioning what I consider silly regulations out loud...I guess I should just keep quiet but I don't see any reason to throw away about 10 perfectly good tanks and have to buy new ones....other than somebody somewhere decided I should be made to do that...

Don Hanson