Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:01:04 -0500
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: wheel bearing question
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Likely you know this, and not clear if this might be part of the issue, but each bearing race (or is it properly called "carrier"?) that bearing assembly rides on, needs to seated so it butts up against the each lip inside the rotor.

here's some pics and stuff I put on my website a while back. One or two images should show the lip/race detail

http://sites.google.com/site/tubaneil2/newfrontwheelbearingsrotors

If the bearing has come out of, or part way out of it's cage, if it were me, I'd replace with new.

Neil.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I am doing the rear wheel bearing on one side of my 84 and it ain't going > smooth.    I got it back together but I couldn't get the nut onto the axle > because somewhere one of the bearings isn't fully seated or something.   So > I took it back apart and I got the center race of the roller bearing out of > it's center, somehow....I think I can see what happened to make the whole > assembly too long.....the bearing carrier needs to seat onto the axle and > that didn't happen first time around...  So I'm ready to try again, but for > the roller bearing in two pieces.... > >  My question is:  Is it possible to put the roller bearing back > together?   I have been trying to tap it in, gently, with no success. > Should I give that up and re-order another bearing?  Or can you put these > back together, if you get the race and the rollers all lined up just right? > > PS....my old bearing, the roller one, that was quite galled up and it looks > like one of the seals was turning with the bearing...the axle stub is heat > marked at the inner seal area... > >   anyone?  Don Hanson

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly  http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"  http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines