Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Apr 2012 23:33:50 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday flammables-Flammables vs. combustibles.

Good grief folks, we have nothing in front of us but some sheet metal. If we hit something going fast enough with a flammable gas in the A/C condenser right up front (weird idea, IMHO), along with gasoline and propane under us, it will simply result in cremation after our inevitable instantaneous death. So what? Who doesn't want to be buried in their Westy???

When I sold my EVC I gave up the modern insurance company mandated engine-in-front energy absorbing crush zone, ABS, air bags, traction control, etc. (and power) to get a primitive, under powered '85 Westy with nothing more than seat belts to keep you from going through the windshield and head restraints to keep your neck from breaking. Those were the first safety improvements introduced in 1968, after the padded dash. I use the seat belts, so it's safe enough for me. But there are a lot of distracted drivers today, so I drive even more defensively than I used to. I once expected that the other driver would be paying attention and see me, but not anymore. So, I'm putting in a really loud horn from an Alfa Romeo. But I might upgrade: http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts.com/VIAIR-20005-Kit-and-PAIR-of-BIG-Rig -Trumpet-Truck-Air-Horns-ACHRSK-650x2-VIAIR20005.htm Watch the video. I have a Scion xB like this one, and I've often wanted this capability. Any ideas on where to put the compressor?

I just hope my luck will hold for another 20 years like it did with my '84 Westy. Oh wait, it's been 30 years counting my '68 Westy!

When your number is up, it's up. Just enjoy the ride until then!

Stuart Older but not dead yet in Seattle

Definition and classification of flammable and combustible liquids are addressed in Section 1.7 of NFPA 30. A flammable liquid is defined as a liquid whose flash point does not exceed 100°F, when tested by closed-cup test methods, while a combustible liquid is one whose flash point is 100°F or higher, also when tested by closed-cup methods. These broad groups are further classified as follows: Class IA - Flash Point less than 73°F; Boiling Point less than 100°F Class IB - Flash Point less than 73°F; Boiling Point equal to or greater than 100°F Class IC - Flash Point equal to or greater than 73°F, but less than 100°F Class II - Flash Point equal to or greater than 100°F, but less than 140°F Class IIIA - Flash Point equal to or greater than 140°F, but less than 200°F

Class IIIB - Flash Point equal to or greater than 200°F

Notice that boiling point is only used to distinguish between ClassIA and Class IB. Class IA liquids are extremely volatile, but there are few liquids that are so classed. Note also that, theoretically, there is no upper limit to Class IIIB.

These definitions and classifications were agreed to years ago by NFPA, the U. S. Department of Transportation (DOT), and the U. S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) in an attempt to remove inconsistencies in the definitions used at the time. Since then, DOT has changed its definition of "flammable liquid" by raising the upper limit to 141°F (60.5°C). This was done because the United States is a partner to a world-wide set of hazardous materials regulations sponsored by the United Nations and must use the UN definitions, at least for international transportation. Note, however, that DOT regulations include a so-called "domestic exemption" that allows a shipper to redesignate as a combustible liquid any liquid whose flash point is in the NFPA Class II range and which does not meet any other hazardous material definition.