Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:46:43 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Pop Top Canvas And Little Blocks of Wood
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

I *think* VW may have switched to the aluminum strips on very late Bays. My '75 Westy and '77 Westy both had the staples and plastic strips. My hands hurt for days after doing the canvas. I just finished transferring the little wood blocks over to my new canvas, and, well, I drove one staple into my finger-I knew at least one would get me. Anxious to get this job done, as a 6 pack of Yuengling awaits!!!!!!! Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > they do help, as I found when repairing my old pop top before > installing into my '86 syncro westy conversion. The original canvas > was pretty beat up at the rear and my wife sewed in some replacement > canvas right over the old. We tried to keep as many of the blocks > attached back there as we thought that with the repair we might not be > able to get the canvas back on the top in just the right position. As > it turned out, we did not have all the blocks in place but it worked > out all right. > I installed the canvas to the roof when the roof was off the van, and > upside down. Probably the best situation for canvas install, having > gravity in your favour, and even so the little blocks helped out. > BTW, the pop top canvas repair my wife did was meant to be a stopgap > to tide us over until I spring for a 3 window. But it turned out so > well I'm in no rush to replace it. The added canvas wraps around the > sides a little way, providing more wear protection at the hinge area. > You get the idea in this pic: > http://shufti.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/img_4687.jpg > One strange thing about my pop top and canvas, even though is was from > my '82 westy, it has the aluminium strips and screws attachment system > of the later models. > alistair > On 2012-04-14, at 8:40 AM, J Stewart wrote: > > Doing my canvas today, resealed my gas tank yesterday (Instead of > > going to Everybus as had been the plan <sigh>. Anyway, this is my > > first Vanagon canvas replacement, have done 2 Bays ( A big WOOHOO > > for no %$#& staples and plastic strips) . The old canvas, original I > > assume, had tiny blocks of wood stapled to it at each corner, seems > > to be for locating the correct position for the canvas. I don't > > recall these ever being mentioned before. Toying with moving them to > > the new 3 window canvas for installing it.... > > > > > > > > > > Jeff Stewart