Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:44:31 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Flywheel Install / O - ring
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

there is a large thin o-ring that goes inside the flywheel.. right where it bolts to the crank. Those get hard and leak.

the red, or red-lipped rear main seals are the only ones to use. The all black ones get hard in a couple of years, and don't seal that well.

it's imperative to put lock tite on the flywheel bolts as a sealant . otherwise oil will leak out at the flywheel bolts.

the felt pilot bearing dust shield.. I have seen 'too many times' where the little metal ring that keeps it in place in the flywheel is missing .. so someone puts it together with no pilot brg dust shield. And the pilot brg fails early.

lube the heck out of every moving part in the cross shaft and TOB area. I have seen tons of those installed bone dry , which does not work very well long term.

anyway .. do really careful good work. it's not just 'bolting in the parts.'

Scott www.turbovans.com

On 4/13/2012 9:40 PM, neil n wrote: > Of the smaller O rings, is one made of felt? There's a felt O ring > which installs up against the pilot bearing. This part helps keep dirt > out of the pilot bearing and/or helps keep the grease in the pilot > bearing. There will be info in the Vanagon archives on this part. > > Double check the brand of rear engine O ring seal you are installing. > Over on thesamba.com and likely here too, there are discussions about, > and suggestions of, which brand is the better quality part. > > Neil. > > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM, John Jensen<bluesbug@verizon.net> wrote: > >> I'm doing the clutch on my '80 AirCooled Westy, .... I have a few O rings on hand that >> came from a complete engine gasket set: One big beefy one that is >> almost as big as the oil seal and two smaller ones that look like they >> might either go inside the end of the fly wheel or somewhere in that >> area. > >