Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:14:04 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weird Hatch Struts?

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Rob <becida@comcast.net> wrote: > > > When my struts were getting weak I thought about that fix, it has > > been done in PVC. Then someone mentioned 'forgetting' the lock was > > installed and bending something trying to close the hatch. > > > > That thought crossed my mind when I installed the PVC but over the years it > hasn't been a problem for me or for anyone working on my Vanagon. You > would have to really put some weight on the hatch to bend anything. >

I have two of the heavy duty struts on my van. They will support two race bikes and 6 wheels on the rear hatch rack. Bikes at about 25#.

I also have those PVC tubes on there. If you are careful and precise with the cutting to length, they can be sized so that they don't 'automatically' drop into place every time you open the hatch. I have mine carefully cut so that I have to push the hatch up against it's wide open stop and at the same time, pull the PVC catch down onto the slider, against the bottom of the cylinder.

This prevents Ham-fisted van guests from accidently bending my hatch, going..."This hatch is stuck open...dang! Better hang on it, pull down harder! What the ....., it still won't close...POS Vanagon!...." I caught someone doing just that one time when I did have the PVC 'suspenders' as well as the hatch strut belt deployed... I caught her in time. I only use the PVC thingies now if I know I won't be leaving the hatch open and untended...