Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:03:09 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Flywheel Install / O - ring Starter Bendix
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

That "squelching" (screeching) is the sound of a dry or defective one way clutch or screw mechanism on the starter drive. As the engine catches that little gear on the starter can turn extremely fast before it gets clear of the flywheel. As a reference the starter turns the engine at less than 100 rpm. Imagine what would happen to the starter if that little gear couldn't freewheel as the engine reached 1,00 rpm +.

Dennis