Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Apr 2012 07:43:29 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires

> > I forgot there were multiple options for "stock". I have steel wheels. > My tires have all been size 185R14, and I'm unclear about what other sizes > (if any) are appropriate. > > > > > > It's time for new tires, and I'm looking for advice. > > > > Here's what I'm looking for: > > > > I have an '88 Westy with stock wheels. I don't want to change to new > > wheels. These roll. I like them. > > > > What's most important to me is good, safe handling and traction. I want > > good traction in the rain. We don't get enough snow here (St. Louis) to > > justify snow tires or chains, but, when we do get snow, I'd like to be > able > > to drive to work safely, even when the roads aren't quite cleared yet, > or if > > it's a bit icy. > > >

I run stock sized steel wheels on my 84 5sp. People give these wheels away when they 'upgrade' to alloys. Of the three sets I now have, I found two that were dented, bent. I have broken cast and even forged alloy wheels, so on the Vanagon, I use steel wheels. for dependability in remote areas. And because they are free.

For tires, the best I've found, so far...I use the Hankook RA0 8 on the front and Nokian Hakkapellita C on the rear...both in 185-14c size. This is my second set of Hakkas. I was impressed with the tread wear of the first set and they do give good traction compared to similar tires in other brands. Worth the premium price, IMHO. This is my first set of RAO 8s, using them on the front, and they make the van handle as well as it ever has...at about 15k miles, the tread is looking fine...they have a deep tread, B.T.W. The 'mix' of brands in this particular combo seems to work well for me...I may get another pair of Hankooks to run on the rear this summer because they are less expensive than the Nokians and I don't really need M+S treads in the summer where I drive...

Don Hanson