Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:06:59 -0400
From:         "dofunk@yahoo.com" <dofunk@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diff Lock Stuck On!!!
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

The diff lock is spring loaded! It is such that if it fails it will try to fail in the unlocked position! Don't believe it? Remove the actuator push the lock in with your finger then with one rear wheel off the ground rock the wheel back and forth and that alone should be enough to watch it walk itself back to the unlocking position! If that's wrong then thanks Dennis for setting up my trans this way and thanks Daryl for keeping it that way after u rebuilt it!

-----Original message----- From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thu, Apr 19, 2012 19:34:35 GMT+00:00 Subject: Re: Diff Lock Stuck On!!!

it requires vacuum to unlock. it's not spring loaded to 'unlock' .

if the hoses are reveresed on the actuator, I think you'd just have reverse logic at the dash knob.. like in to lock, out to unlock .

remove the actuator, ( not always easy ) and operate the shaft for the lock mechanism manually .. see if it moves like it should.

On 4/18/2012 1:56 PM, craig cowan wrote: > This is a problem... > Today I was working on fixing the driveline vibration and finally got > around to hopefully fixing the diff lock. The diff lock has never worked > since I got this van, but when I had the transmission out tested it with a > hand vaccuum pump and it locked well. > I was missing a short piece of hose from the "main hose" that runs along > the frame rail to the blue check valve going into the "Balls". I installed > a piece of hose. Without turning the diff lock knob or anything, the > transmission locked when I started the engine and a few attempts at driving > (about twenty feet) confirmed that it's definately locked. I don't want to > drive it again and damage anything, and I want to get it disengaged, even > if i can't get it "working" to relock. > > I took the check valve off just to relieve the vaccuum and sure enough, it > hissed upon release. This seemed like it should have fixed it, but alas, > still locked. Does it require vaccuum to "UNLOCK" or just to lock and lack > of vaccuum unlocks it? > > Perhaps my hoses are just swaped at the lock actuator? > > -Craig > '87 Sunroof Syncro >