Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:33:12 -0400
From:         Jay Brown <badkarma@TTLC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aux Battery
Comments: To: n51219@COMCAST.NET

Hi Bob,

For an under the rear seat auxiliary battery install, I would recommend using a dual sensing automatic charging relay like the Blue Sea Systems ACR 7610 or the Yandina Combiner 100. The ACR monitors the voltage in both batteries and combines the two batteries when the voltage in either battery hits 13.2V (usually connects within 30 seconds of starting the van). With the ACR, there is no need for a trigger wire and it is very simple to add solar or wind power for charging if desired. There are tons of posts over on www.thesamba.com about the use of ACR's and auxiliary battery systems in general.

I have been using the Blue Seas ACR 7610 to charge two Group 27 Deep Cycle batteries in the cabinet where my fridge used to live for years and have had no problems with it whatsoever. I am also running a 100W solar setup to keep the batteries topped up while camping.

Consider pulling the power for your auxiliary battery from terminal #30 (the post) on the starter. This will provide a short wiring run and can be connected easily and securely with a 5/16" ring terminal.

Jay Brown '85 Zetec Westfalia https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/