Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Apr 2012 00:43:09 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: auto transmission slippage
Comments: To: Laura Olson <laurafromdecorah@GOOGLEMAIL.COM>

Older vehicles with low miles often turn out not to be the bargain envisioned. Are you buying this from an individual or a dealer? Or a curbstoner, (someone who buys and resells vehicles but is not a dealer)? If not a dealer be sure the person you are buying it from has his/her name on the title.

Get a full history report of this vehicle. All vehicles for sale have one thing in common, they are no longer wanted buy their current and past owners. Maybe this is for profit, changes in lifestyle or the vehicle has issues. Vanagons especially Westy's were relatively expensive during that time. 91s had lower prices than 87s. Most folks that bought a Vanagon justified the cost to themselves expecting some level of economy and most new Westy owners (including myself) justified the price as a single vehicle for both the daily commute and traveling. I took delivery of my 87 Syncro Westy February 1988 and reached 100,000 miles July 1993. In later years the usage dropped as I acquired other cars, a second Vanagon, and then the motor home thing. Most saw that type of usage. So either the mileage is not correct, it only went to church on Sundays, or it spent a great deal of time not running.

These automatic transmissions with proper care often go 150-200k miles. However there are some parts that age regardless of miles. Slipping is often the result of a blocked inlet screen or internal pressure leaks from failing pistons or seal rings. Depending on your location and who you can get to help figure $1,300 and up for tranny day.

Really have the engine checked out. Then the suspension and brakes. Keep in mind that many things that look and work good now are going to change as you put this vehicle to work. Many old hoses and bushings, mounts, etc are going to crack as they get flexed. When was the heater cores and radiator changed?

What about the tires? Check for proper size and load rating, and then the date. Recently worked with some bought a Westy from California and had it shipped here (NY). Third day had a tire blow out. Spare was no good. A tow and 5 tires later!

Welcome to the list and best of luck if you get this van.

Dennis