Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:45:42 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: rear wheel bearing question
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Sorry Don, but to me that doesn't make sense - how can you pack the housing so full of grease that the balls in the races cannot push out excess grease? After a few turns of the bearing, the balls will have cleared a path in the race, leaving only that thin layer of grease on the metal that actually does the job. I don't see how 5 oz of grease 2 inches away in the housing is going to help things.

And if you could pack the housing 100% full, wouldn't thermal expansion force grease out of the end seals?

I understand the types of grease used, I used a good quality synthetic wheel bearing grease. And in other applications (some much more demanding than the vanagon wheel bearing) I have used sealed bearings.

Come to think about it, aren't the bearings in the alternator sealed? Shielded at least.

alistair