Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:27:57 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      1.9L '85 - Water in gas tank - Problem SOLVED!!!!!!

Well, I feel a bit silly but not really.

You may have read over the past year or so that I was having problems with water in my gas tank. Got all new hoses and seals for the tank - seemed better but still the problem showed up.

Well I received a new tank for my birthday (Yay!!!) - we dropped the old on out on Sat and I found......That the expansion tank on the passenger side had a problem - the fitting on the top of the tank had separated - I am quite confident that os where I was getting all the water. Rain and water fromt he wheels was getting in the top of that expansion tank and leaking into the gas tank. Looking in the gas tank the unmistakeable rust stain proves this theory.

I still think I needed a new tank though because something wasn't quite right with the outlet to the fuel pump - gas didn't flow out of there the way I thought it should.

So what I've decided to do (for now at least) is I have by passed the expansion tank on that side - still left the driver side tank operational. Now I know I'm going to get a bunch of "Don't Do it!" responses - and I understand it was designed for two but like I said I can always go back and fix it later on if I need to. I've read posts from folks saying you can do without the exapnsion tanks and those that say you cannot - I split the difference and will try it with just one!

Now if I can figure out how to get the line fitting off the old clutch slaves cylinder so I can put the new cylinder in I'll be golden! Darn thing is rusted solid - sprayed the crud out of it with PBBlaster over many days - smacked it good with a hammer - it won't budge. I guess I can put heat to it but I don't want to hurt that plastic line. ALways something I tell you.

-- Thanks,

Jeff '85 GL (Gertie) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus