Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:28:12 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Norcold 12v dc installation question

I have a Norcold 12v/110ac 2-way fridge that I am selling. I have a prospective 'local' buyer. This fridge is Mod. # DE-251 D and it works well, made ice running on my spare battery overnight and the 110 plug in also works. This prospective buyer says "I'll buy it if it'll fit into my Westie" What have you guys and gals who've switched over to these Norcold boxes actually had to do to put them into a Westie?

This Norcold came from Dodge van that I am parting out and it's very similar sized to the Dometic from a Westie, though slightly larger. I don't have an accessible Dometic to measure and I have not done any planning to do the Norcold swap as I actually am quite happy with my Dometic.

The Norcold I have measures 18w x 21h x 15d with an additional 4 3/4" needed for the cooling coils at the rear. That seems to call for about 20" of cabinet depth, and the Westie interior in my tin top, that only looks to be about 19" deep. Did those of you who installed these into Westies have to add some trim shims or something to fit them in? Do they extend from the cabinet front slightly more than the Dometic? What should I tell this fellow he will need to do to have a 'better' fridge in his Westie?

I want to get the take on what's involved in installing one of these so this prospective buyer is not surprised or disappointed if it won't just 'slip right in". If he does decline to take it because some minor cabinet work is involved, I will offer it up for sale here in a day or two. I put it on the Samba just this morning...I want to get it out of my shop... now it's former home (1977 Dodge conversion van) is leaving I have no room to store it. The price is just $250 (they go for around $800-$1000 new) and it's located about 60 miles east of Portland, Or. Reasonable delivery arrangements can be made 'nearby' or buyer can pay the shipping.

Thanks, Don Hanson