Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:19:10 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Canvas Replacement-I Regret Ever Buying This Van!!!!!!!!!!!!
Comments: To: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@frontier.com>

Jonce, thank you. I had somehow over the years become confused, thinking that nylon was a trade name for the general class of fibers called acrylic. That is not true. It is a trade name for polyamide fibers, and there are quite a few of those. Acrylic fibers are quite different. Thanks again for causing me to look this up and relearn a lesson from long ago. David

---- Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@frontier.com> wrote: > Sunbrella is a solution dyed Acrylic. > Nylon is Nylon. > Polyester is Polyester. > Nylon will fade and if backed ( like a back pack) it can stop water. > BUT does not like weather and will fade and stretch and shrink. > Polyester will fade as well but is dimensionally stable will let > water in unless backed. > Cotton will swell and slow down water from coming in. > BUT. Different finishes and treatments for each item can make it work > for many applications. Fire Retard. UV Pigments, water repellency and > many other treatments can be manufactured into the fabric to meet > your needs. Almost all Fabric stores have NO CLUE what the fabric is > made of and what it is designed to do. Most are imports and will not > give you the wear, colorfastness, water repellency you may want. > Also for the time to build a new canvas it is easier to just order > one. I can make my own. Many years of sitting behind the machine BUT > why reinvent the wheel. > All in good fun! > Jonce > > > >Isn't _Sunbrella_ a polyester fabric? Nylon (acrylic) gets eaten up > >by the sun (UV), while polyester is pretty sturdy to UV. mcneely > > > >---- Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > Let me know how that goes. It will involve a lot more careful measuring > > > than sewing (except for the zippers and flaps) and within my sewing > > > abilities, but I was wondering how it was for being put away wet, > > > breathability with a heater, etc. > > > > > > I'm talking about the really lightweight stuff, not Cordura, of course. > > > Sunbrella, however hard it might be to work with, sounds like the only > > > protection agains the burning sun, though. > > > > > > Jim > > > > > > On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Stephen Grisanti > > <bike2vcu@yahoo.com>wrote: > > > > > > > Actually, my bride (the seamstress) is planning to do this when > > our canvas > > > > needs replacing. She has already purchased the fabric and is > > awaiting the > > > > removal of ours in order to begin making her pattern. I will need to > > > > recheck the fabric she got but I believe it is ripstop. > > > > > > > > Stephen > > > > > > > > --- On *Mon, 4/16/12, Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>* wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > From: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> > > > > Subject: Re: Canvas Replacement-I Regret Ever Buying This Van!!!!!!!!!!!! > > > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > > Date: Monday, April 16, 2012, 4:56 PM > > > > > > > > > > > > Has anyone sewn one up out of ripstop nylon? > > > > > > > > Just wondering, > > > > > > > > Jim > > > > > > > > > > > >-- > >David McNeely >

-- David McNeely