Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:24:49 -0400
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      AM/FM/CD/MP3 Radio with Weather Band that fits Vanagon

We have a factory radio in our Subaru that has a weather band and it comes in handy from time to time, especially in the winter.

Since our original factory radio in the Vanagon had become pretty flaky as to when it would work, I looked to purchase a new radio for our Vanagon and really wanted one that wasn't too flashy, matched the dash of the van, and had a weather band feature.

Through luck, I found a radio with AM/FM/CD/MP3 and weather band and remote control all in one unit that fits the Vanagon.

It is not a brand that I have heard of but found it for sale on a site that sells heavy duty radios for big trucks, buses, etc. I searched for the manufacturer, called them, asked questions and purchased one of their models (CSS-5920E) directly from them.

To see their radios, go to: Custom Radio Corporation<http://customradio.net/us_en/products-page/truck/>

The face plate is the exact size as the original radio in our '91 Westy and the depth of the radio is almost exactly the size of the original radio so there was no problem making the radio fit.

Costs were as follows: Radio -- CSS-5920E $124.25 Remote Control -- CSS-10 $7.00 Shipping varies by location

You will also need an adapter for the antenna if you have the original European version antenna. Since the radio has two power wires (main and accessory) you do need to tie in to the key-in wire from the ignition switch. After that, when the key is out, the radio is off.

I purchased the following from an ebay seller to complete the installation. Wiring Harness Adapter -- Metra 70-1784 Metra Harness<http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VW9000-VOLKSWAGEN-AUDI-1987-UP-RADIO-WIRE-HARNESS-METRA-70-1784-/300658566132?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4600a5a3f4&vxp=mtr>for $4.75 delivered Antenna Adapter --- Metra 40VW10 Metra Antenna Adapter<http://www.ebay.com/itm/290673675409?item=290673675409&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr>for $4.95 delivered

The black color and the white & silver trim matches the knobs, levers, etc. on the dash and I think the radio looks like it came with the van. To see 2 pics of the installed radio in our '91 Westy, go to: CSS-5920E<https://plus.google.com/photos/101409063124906966630/albums/5736160626378274641?authkey=CKKYzOPEsfXrYg>

While I have only used it for a few days, AM and FM reception is very strong, the CD players works great, and I have not used the MP3/WMA input. The weather band feature works and has less static than the one in the Subaru. Oh, and the radio has plenty of power at 45 watts per channel (4) --- much more power than I need for the factory speakers.

Hope this helps someone looking fore a radio and let me know if you have questions.

Harold -- __________ Harold Teer 1991 Westy Harrisonburg, VA