Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Apr 2012 05:48:52 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pneumantic-hydraulic Harbor Freight Jack
Comments: To: HotelWestfalia <zolo@foxinternet.net>

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM, HotelWestfalia <zolo@foxinternet.net>wrote:

> My one of best ever investment was to get that Pneumatic-Hydraulic Jack. > It's the exact size for the Vanagon and with having compressed air, it is a > walk in the park' to lift the car to put it on jacks. Then taking out the > jacks would be even easier and faster because I don't have to let the > pneumatic jack down all the way for letting the other side down too. > If I remember it right, it cost about $120. Now, I can't imagine life > without it. I use it every day. > But I would understand if one does not have a compressor and need to use > something else. > Zoltan > > I was always quite envious when I raced my Porsche 928 against the very cool Porsche customer factory race cars (called Cup Cars) that many of the well-funded guys bought and had shipped over at about $300k per copy.

These Cup Cars (so-named for the Porsche Cup racing series in Europe) cars were equipped with air jacks, so the mechanics just plugged a hose into the side of the car and it "popped" right up on all four corners on little pneumatic pistons built right in. I had to use my Harbor Freight jack and some stands on MY 'cheap' racer...Still, the HF jack at ~30lbs was a huge improvement on the big heavy steel jack that I began my racing with. Actually I recall changing a flat on my 26' car hauler trailer (~6000#) with the 2800# car and a weekend's racing gear aboard...*That* was pushing it, capacity wise, for that HF jack, for sure..