Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:42:31 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: more information on engine swap/fuel pump woes
Comments: To: jesse and monica johnson <fowvaydriver@yahoo.com>

Jess, I have been running into issues with the digijet fuel injection harness lately in which the problems are caused by the harness itself breaking down over time. In other words, connections inside the harness are going bad with age and cause this different issues. Sometimes they are intermittent problems, sometimes they are caused by moving the harness like you did when you replaced the engine. I think you will find that your problem is cause by a fault in the harness itself. If you look at the Bentley Manual on 97.61 and 97.62 at the wiring diagram, you can see where a bunch of grounds come together right below the fuel injectors. This is also the ground for the fuel pump relay. This ground cluster is actually inside the wiring harness in a big crimp connection. You have to cut the outer sheathing on the harness to see this. I think the fault is there. You could try to repair it yourself but if it were me, and I wanted a reliable van after doing this work I would buy a brand new harness to replace this old one.

Take a look at your harness and see what you think. Check the grounds for the fuel pump relay to be sure that it is good. You want to test pins 86 and 87 in the fuel pump relay/ECU power relay box. These need to be good grounds with zero resistance. Let me know what you find.

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: 856-327-4936 Fax: 856-327-2242

On 4/25/2012 11:47 AM, jesse and monica johnson wrote: > Sweet Ken cause i am at a total loss. i am a pretty seasoned vw guy > 20+ years and am at my wits end! > its an 85 so last of the digijet fuel system. it was a 1.9 that i > swapped in a 2.1 go westy engine using 2.1 exhaust conversion kit. but > all the coolant/fuel systems are still ol' 1.9 version. > Man if you could help me i would mail you some nice homemade cookies! > _Jess > > --- On *Wed, 4/25/12, Ken Wilford /<kenwilfy@comcast.net>/* wrote: > > > From: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net> > Subject: Re: more information on engine swap/fuel pump woes > To: "jesse and monica johnson" <fowvaydriver@YAHOO.COM>, > VANAGON@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 11:36 AM > > Jesse, I looked back through your posts and I could not find what > year your van is and also if you are troubleshooting the digijet > or digifant system. Let me know and I will try to assist. > > -- Thanks, > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com > Phone: 856-327-4936 > Fax: 856-327-2242 > > > > On 4/25/2012 8:55 AM, jesse and monica johnson wrote: > > A little bit more info on fuel pump woes after engine swap. > > So several of you asked for a bit more information on my testing > so that i shall give. > > I went through the testing procedures from the bentley on > checking relays "b" and "c" as the bentley calls them .. or fuel > pump power supply and fuel pump relays in the black box on drivers > side of engine bay. > > I get power on terminal 30 of both relays with key on as it > should be. But the rest of the terminals 85,87 i get none even > with cranking. I did check ALL grounds of both relays and of the > ecu. All are totally fine. Strange noteā€¦ if i bridge the fuel pump > relay the pump runs fine. BUT if i bridge the power relay for the > fuel pump with the fuel pump relay in which SHOULD make the pump > run also i get nothing. Weird right? I know both relays are good > and have swapped them out to be sure with known good relays. Makes > NO difference. > > Also check all of the terminals on the ecu to be sure everything > is to spec of the various components and all check out. Also > double checked connections on starter. Everything there is a go also. > > So i am at a loss. > > Why would the fuel pump not run if i bridge the power supply > relay next to the fuel pump relay? Should this not kick the fuel > pump on regardless of the ecu being good or bad? Or am i mistaken > in this assumption? > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is in the 17363 > area code and would be willing to stop by and give it a second set > of eyes i would be ever so grateful. I have done many engine > builds/swaps and have never run into an issue like this. I really > really want to fire up this new engine and get the van back on the > road. > > Thanks so much everyone, > > Jesse > > >