Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:48:03 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Do you really want to increase a Westy's propane capacity or
              carry additional bottles inside.

This story made it to a bunch of news venues. You can Google it. The driver and the three family members in the truck were injured, non-life threatening.

One report stated that there were two cylinders in the bed of the truck, a five and a 50 gallon. Now I have to ask what was an individual doing with that much propane in unsecured tanks. The tanks were just recently filled. Yep fill the tanks with cold fuel and then place them in the truck so the sun can warm them. So surprised when they stopped at the drive through and opened the window to place his order he heard the tanks hissing, ( the relief valves doing their job). He went to look and static electricity set off the fuel. The rest is on the video. Hope his insurance will cover the store damage and the resulting loss of business.

I brought this up as there was recent discussions on carrying additional propane. While propane seems really safe and protected in those tanks things can go wrong when it is not handled and stored properly. When modifying or installing additional propane capacity or equipment one has to really know what they are doing. Whenever fluids flow through hoses, pipes, etc. or even splashed within tanks static electricity can be created. Use the wrong hose in your van to connect an appliance and guess what can happen. Same with that tank in the back cabinet. It should be bonded (grounded) to the chassis while traveling. Why copper lines and not hoses are used to hook up the stove and fridge.

Dennis