Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:54:26 -0700
From:         Oxroad <oxroad@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 1.9 Thermostat Housing Leak
Comments: To: Walter Houle <whoule@ecscontrols.com>

Hey Walter--

I haven't done my water pump in my 1.9L for a while and I've mostly bee just lurking on the Vanagon Mailing List. But from memory I don't think you can get that flange off without removing the thermostat housing. And I'm not sure if you can remove the thermostat housing without removing the water pump.

So I'm not answering your question, because I just don't remeber. But I did want to share what I do remember. Unless something has changed, the 1.9L thermostat housing is No Longer Available from VW or anywhere else I know of. Some venders, I think, sell them used.

I found a couple of used thermostat housings and tried to remove the flange that connects the short rubber hose to the cylinder head to replace the gasket before I installed it in my bus with a new water pump. Trying this on both thew used housings the bolts attaching the flange sheered off. So I think you'll find yourself having to drill out and re-thread the thermostat housing at a minimum. Or find a used thermostat housing with that flange attached and trust it's a good seal.

That is unless your pinhole leak is in the short hose. But what I'm sharing is I'm fairly sure if you try to remove that flange from the housing you're gonna have a little work making up for the sheered bolts

Anyway, I apologize I'm not sharing the information you need and that my knowledge isn't recent so it's foggy. But I did want to give you a heads up about what I do remember-- it was frustrating trying to remove the flange and breaking bolts. I ended up getting a new thermostat housing from VW I think for about $200+ if memory serves. And It must have been about the last new one in existence. Again that is unless someone has found a source for "new" thermostat housings.

I hope some of that is helpful. And if it's info you already know then sorry to chime in.

If it were me an I was in there I'f replace the water pump. For $80 or whatever they go for, to me, it's worth not having to go back in and open up the whole works. Sometimes in my experience the less use (only 20,000 miles in 5 years) is harder on the water pump seals than if it's used more.

Good luck. Jeff 1983.5 Westy LA,CA