Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Apr 2012 07:31:57 -0500
From:         Jarrett Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about sound-deadening alternatives

Jim,

I'd first recommend a quick trip to http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ . It's pretty informative and agrees with most of my own anecdotal experience with regards to sound proofing my '89 camper and my previous '73 camper. He also sells his own sound deadener products which are much cheaper than some of the brand name varieties. I have used some of his stuff on my van, and can vouch for the quality and service.

The point of the peel and stick stuff is to reduce the vibrations of the sheet metal, basically to keep it from behaving like the head of a drum or top of an acoustic guitar. It doesn't take a lot of material to eliminate the "gong" effect of the metal, and the material doesn't need to be super thick. Most auto acoustic products for the purpose are from 1-2mm thick.

Some people advocate getting the cheapest material they can find (usually at the hardware store) and covering every interior surface with the stuff. Those flush with cash get the expensive stuff and do the same. I did this on my '73 with a mix of "real" auto acoustical tiles and cheap stuff, and I don't think there's much point to covering everything. First of all, to dampen the metal vibrations you don't need to cover the entire panel. Secondly, if you ever need to access/inspect the body for repair, you're going to have to pull it all up, which is impossible. Don't think moisture can get between an asphalt tile and the body? Think again.

The second step in soundproofing a car comes from creating a sound barrier, and I've seen people use everything from closed cell foam carpet padding to fiberglass insulation. I used carpet padding on my '73 and it arguably made more of a difference than all the adhesive sound tiles I added! This is the step that really makes a difference in reducing the road noise.

In a vanagon I'd pay particular attention to the floor, seat pedestals, and engine firewall. If you've got the interior paneling off or cabinets out, you can get at the walls pretty easily too. The roof is a PITA, no two ways about it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Jarrett 89 Westy