Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:41:57 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: removing studs from new heads
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

double nutting could work.

one trick I like to do once is in a while is take a 13mm hex nut .. cut a slice down through it from one side with a hack saw.

then you have a 'thread shaped thing' you can clamp onto the threads with a vice gribs and apply serious force on the threads without damaging them.. or perhaps this method combined with double nutting.

I prefer studs for two reasons.. one, if a nut is rusted onto it ....it's very easy to heat the nut to remove it. ( if a bolt is badly stuck in the head.....heating helps a little, but not that much really. )

I also don't like screwing a bolt in and out of the head .. threads wear,. someone may put in too short a bolt etc. Granted...you can't sneak in an exhaust port gasket if you need to , with studs.

studs are generally a stronger way to mount things.. like wheel mounting studs are better than wheel mounting bolts, for example. Same way with cylinder heads studs versus bolts.

I also notch out the top of the tabs that are at the top of the push rod covers, so those are easy to move just by loosening the nut with washer under it. Especially the left, side, like if I want to get to the oil pressure switch area.

and sometimes...if there is only one tab at the top of the push rod cover ....that works just fine in conjunction with the two lower mounting bolts. I like things easy to work on. I don't leave off important things at all.. but when practical...I make 'em easier to work on ...like on would on a race car ..where it's worked on all the time.

scott

On 4/30/2012 8:54 AM, pickle vanagon wrote: > I'm interested in hangining my exhaust in an all-bolts configuration on the > rebuilt 2.1 I have going into my 1.9 van. I plan to use a4 stainless 8x30 > bolts. > > (My reasons are: it seems both studs and bolts have benefits, but they are > maximized running all-studs or all-bolts. E.g., with all-studs, none of > the holes have thread-wear, with all-bolts, you can do a head gasket > without removing exhaust. All-studs are not an option for me since the 1.9 > water pump is in the way of removing the headers when using all-studs.) > > My plan is to remove the studs was just to tighten two nuts against each > other on each stud and use that to twist it off. I'm guessing that this > should be easy since the heads (and studs) are brand new. Do I need to use > a stud puller instead? Or should they come out easy with the double-nut? > > Thanks, > Wes >