Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 May 2012 17:41:40 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another Monster Battery Option For Stock Locations-Charging!
Comments: To: Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM>

One of the advantages of AGM type batteries is their extremely good "charge acceptance". The work very well in float charge applications. While multi stage chargers seem like a necessity they are really only needed on a periodic basis. The work on voltage/current sensing and the characteristic of batteries during the charging process. As such in order for them to really work the battery-charging circuit cannot be connected to any load, especially and load that varies. Also, for AGM batteries many chargers will go to a 16.5 or higher peak. Say goodbye to many light bulbs. Chargers that are designed-approved for RV use will usually peak out at 14.5 volts and from experience even that is too much for all those little indicator and halogen lamps in my motorhome.

Since AGM batteries tend to be expensive, part of the usage plan has to be to extend their life. It is very important to limit cycles, avoid high temperatures and sudden temperature changes. Most AGM failures are the result of the electrolyte venting-drying out in one or more cells.

Probably the ideal float charge is around 13.8 volts. This will keep things near or below the gassing stage. If you go near or above 14.2-14.5 volts extended drives can cause some positive plate corrosion. Consider that each time you "top off" the battery to this higher voltage you have "cycled" it. For example, you driving and the battery is charged. You stop for an hour or so to rest get some lunch. Your listening to the radio, or using your laptop. Whatever. Yu then go drive again, your smart charger or voltage regulator put that extra umph in after the bulk charge. Yes you have just used one of the 300-500 cycles that AGM may give you. We make it a practice that batteries used for opportunity charge should only go above 80% once a day at most. AGMs tend to last the longest when used between 50-80% stat of charge with periodic maintenance charges.

Dennis