Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 May 2012 15:18:58 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1986 syncro westy stuck transmission drain plug
Comments: To: David Klein <david@ASHTEC.CA>

here's one for sure.. make darn sure you can get the filler plug out before you remove the drain plug.

a cut-off section of 17mm allen wrench ..a traditional VW tool from the VW Bug days makes a fine allen tool for the drain plug. Fits in tight spaces.. use a 17mm long box wrench with it. very handy tool.

if you tighten a tapered plug to 9 on a scale of 10, it will be 15 on the same scale to undo. always check that it's not too hard to loosen when tightening it in.

I use gasket sealer on the threads too ..never bare metal-to-metal there. scott turbovans

On 5/2/2012 7:44 AM, David Klein wrote: > Hi, > > Tried many things to get the plug out but can't get it out. I am waiting for the special 17mm Allen socket from van-cafe. I used the bolt and nut option but broke bolts 5 times. > > Any tricks that people have would be appreciated. Also any don'ts would be appreciated too. > > Thanks, David