Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 May 2012 17:59:52 -0400
From:         pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: last minute engine swap questions
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

The 2.1 is rebuilt by Gary Leblanc.

I got an '85 air plenum so that it will mount to the 2.1 case but work with my 1.9 intake runners. I'm keeping the fuel injection and cooling system from the 1.9, but am adding one of Chris Corkin's oil coolers to make up for the loss of the 2.1 heat exchanger (ideally I would have both but keeping my cooling system will make things easier for me). Until a week ago I had planned to keep the 1.9 exhaust and run it with a short oil filter to fit with the cooler but I got a 2.1 exhaust from gowesty during their earth day sale so now I'll be using that (I have a used engine carrier from a 2.1 to work with the 2.1 muffler).

I was planning on changing the input seal on the transmission and checking the oil slinger (no signs of leakage, just preventative). I had the tranny out 2 years ago to do the pilot bearing and didn't notice unusual wear on the crossarm shaft. Is this bad frequently enough that I should plan on having one on hand? I do not have any clutch chatter.

I didn't think to get new hardware for the engine to transmission and the rear carrier to body mounts. I'm looking at the ETKA right now and will order up. Do we know what kind of lock nuts those are so I can order a generic nut in 10.9?