Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 May 2012 21:32:17 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Comments: To: Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@GMAIL.COM>

Are you saying they don't at leask eyeball the brake fluid resevoir level in a state safety inpsection !?

check this out .. guy in Port Townsend decides to have me servive his honda civic as it had 200K miles on it and valve clearances had never been adjusted. He tells me on the phone ..'just ignore the brake warning light ...it's a bad parking brake switch." I say ..Honda's don't do that ....old VW's and volvo's do.

He's a family man with wife and baby.. I get the car .. there is exactly 1/8th inch of black brake fluid in the bottom of the resevoir. and these are two adults that drive an infant around in that car.

the owner's manual clearly says on Page 19 ......if the brake warning light doesn't go off when you take off the parking brake, check the brake fluid res. level. If that is low, add some brake fluid and do see your friendly local repair station or dealer.

I ask the woman is she ever reads the owner's manual...just just laughed.

*Believe me* ..'people' are not smart enough to check their own brake fluid .. or to heed warning lights. I would expect them to want to see the brake fluid reservoir and fluid level.

the cover for the instruments on vanagons is some of the strongest best plastic anywhere. Of hundreds I have worked on ..........I have seen one broken one ever.

the instrument cluster itself though ..very cheesy plastic. Most have a corner or two broken. Also ..the cover can really stick on .. particularly if the springy tabs metal tabs are never lubed. I am the only person in north american that puts a dab of grease on those that I know of. so sure ..if those are never lubed, and any corners of the instrument cluster are broken or not fixed somehow.. you can tear things up getting the cover off.. but there is no reason for that to happen really, if people understand and take care of things.

that 'not going to be responsible' ..what a line. the inspector could easily have said.. * I am not going to be responsible for busting your instrument cluster cover ....expose your brake fluid res or fail the test young man.'

On 5/4/2012 2:23 PM, Alan Felder wrote: > I just had my annual inspection in Texas today. My son took it in and the > inspector wanted to look at the brake fluid level. My son told him " its > inside the dash and I'm not going to be responsible for anything getting > broken, so NO". The guy reluctantly said OK. Passed, but I doubt I'll go > back to that place, they were just fishing, as no-one has ever asked to see > that before. > > -- > Alan Felder > Austin TX > 82 Diesel Westy > > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Max Wellhouse<dimwittedmoose@cfu.net>wrote: > >> ......or Arkansas..... >> >> >> DM&FS >> >> >> At 08:29 PM 5/3/2012, ralph meyermann wrote: >> >>> No inspection here in Iowa either!! ;) >>> >>> Velma 82diesel 1.6 na westy >>> >>> On May 3, 2012 8:25 PM, "Tom Hargrave"<thargrav@hiwaay.net> wrote: >>> >>> There is no vehicle inspection in Alabama. >>> >>> Thanks, Tom Hargrave >>> www.stir-plate.com >>> www.towercooler.com >>> www.kegkits.com >>> www.grow-sun.com >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> -----Original Message----- >>> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.**COM<vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>] >>> On Behal... >>> ----- >>> No virus found in this message. >>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com >>> Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 2411/4976 - Release Date: 05/03/12 >>>