Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 May 2012 09:26:37 -0400
From:         Jason <uberhare@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Smart car opinions

I work at a wholesale parts business....We stock the turbo AND clutch for these if that tells you anything. Every mechanic who phones in for parts curses them!

Jason

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@q.com> wrote: > Well, no one talked me out of it, though some of you tried. > > My brother bought (actually, leased) one recently and is happy with his. I drove it and was impressed with the quality of construction, interior space, ease of ingress/egress, styling, price, and ride comfort. > > I didn't want a Prius.  Too squatty and I don't quite trust the batteries/ electronics.  Jetta/ Passat TDI was attractive, but 2-3x the money for new(ish) put them it of reach  the funky shifting is odd, but I'm learning to lift my foot a bit at shift time (makes a world of difference). > > My only complaint is a bit of "twichiness" at highway speeds, though that is minor (and understandable with that short wheelbase).  My brother says crosswinds are "interesting". > > Three year lease for the "Pure" (their base model) for $116/month. It has cruise control and an armrest in addition to the standard Phoenix warm weather package.  $6700 buyout after three years.  So far, I'm happy.  I'll keep y'all posted. > > Karl Wolz > Sent from my electronic umbilicus > > On May 4, 2012, at 8:30 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> I have driven a Canadian model, the turbo diesel . >> They sure are cute. >> That was in about 2007 .. >> hardly any had ever been seen here .  People would stop, point, gawk, etc. >> >> under-powered.. >> lurchy semi-automatic transmission. >> >> also what I would call very likely a much better new car than a used one. >> >> I have always noticed, that on cars with tiny engines .. >> Americans drive the snot out of them to get them to get going .. >> by the time one of these has say 80,000 miles on it, I'll bet it'll be pretty tired.. >> engine wise , perhaps transmission wise too. >> >> If Consumer Reports has a data on it ....good idea to see what they say.. >> A+ for cuteness though ! >> >> scott >> turbovans.com >> >> On 5/4/2012 12:38 AM, Karl Wolz wrote: >>> >>> Now that it's Friday, does anyone on list have any experience, good, bad, or >>> otherwise, with Samrt cars?  Going up to look at one tomorrow. >>> >>> Karl Wolz >>>