Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 May 2012 15:06:06 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rad R&R procedure?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

At 01:54 PM 5/5/2012, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >1. Are there brands/makes to avoid?

Dunno. Bus Depot sells good ones, last I knew they were ~150. They *were* OEM from South Africa, dunno if they still are. List discount code (5%) is list1e.

>2. How messy a job is it to R&R the rad?

You'll have a bunch of coolant to get rid of, and probably some flakes of rust and such. Otherwise not to speak of.

>3. Is there a procedure online I can look at?

If you've got A/C you have to get the condenser out of the way; someone else will have to help with that. Or if you're lucky you won't, but I wouldn't care to bet on it.

So assuming you're air is as God intended it:

Get a friend if you can but it's for convenience, not necessity (the less mechanically adroit you are the closer this approaches necessity). The radiator/fan assembly is a lot heavier than you think it is. Every time someone takes one off they say "wow, that's a lot heavier than I was expecting" - at least the first time. It's like your first look into the Tardis.

Bentley 19.12. Remove the eeny meeny miney mo... lower grill and unplug the fan thermo-switch from in front. Unplug the fan from in back.

Study the picture. The radiator is captured between fixed upper and adjustable lower brackets. In aid of this it has a smallish tit extending up or down from each corner (the right-side ones are visible in the photo) and each one carries a rubber washer which is what actually makes contact with the bracket. Do Not Forget these washers when putting it back together. You support the radiator up against the upper bracket and shove the lower bracket up against it before tightening the bracket mounting bolt.

So. You get your big bucket ready and take off the hoses. If you don't have a hose clamp tool intended for flat-spring type hose clamps, go get one. The largest one from NAPA is good, costs about $30. There's one around that's remotely operated with a cable, I bet it's really convenient in tight corners (and costs more). But I haven't yet found a corner of the van where I absolutely couldn't find a way to get the NAPA ones into place. Don't even think about Vise Grips etc. unless you like getting hurt; ditto the clamp tools intended for round-wire spring clamps. You may find you have to remove the right-side bracket to get to the clamps properly.

Once it has drained, get that stuff out of the way, support the radiator whilst removing the other bracket, and lower away. Watch out for sharp bits (like the fins). If it fouls or doesn't come freely, find out why! Set it down somewhere handy and transfer all the pieces to the new one. Jam screwdriver through coils of new one (this step is optional).

Put it all back. Remember those rubber washers! and remember to plug the fan back in. Snug it up nicely against the upper brackets. List wisdom is divided about those pesky spring-type hose clamps. The people who are for them point out that they're made at some considerable expense so that they will constantly take up as needed and keep proper clamping pressure on the joint forever, which screw-type clamps won't do. My impression of the "against" crowd is that they've never used the proper tool to remove and install them, without which they're bloody annoying and dangerous. YMMV. If you do replace the spring clamps with screw ones, remember that the Valkyries will come and poke you with pointed sticks if you use the American type with holes pierced in the strap, since Teutonic hose is not made for such dreadful abuse.

>4. Do it at home on the driveway, or take it to a shop?

I've done it two-three times with no difficulties. The front of the van has to be high enough for the radiator to come out under it, but I don't recall that as being extremely high. The new one will show you. I see no reason at all to take it to a shop (and I'm about to pay a shop to R&R a transmission that I'm quite capable of doing and can't afford to pay for because I'm depressed enough right now that it's Just Too Much Trouble to go out and lie in the driveway).

Yours, David