Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 May 2012 11:31:26 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another Monster Battery Option For Stock Locations

In looking at the choice of batteries, take a look at the difference between the Group 27 and Group 31 (XT) batteries at Lifeline. If you could fit the 31 the way I did, you would jump up a massive 25% or so in battery capacity (e.g., from 100 to 125 amp hours) and similarly on all the other metrics of battery power. A 25% increase in battery capacity is nothing to sneeze at and makes a little metal trimming seem worthwhile if you have the time, obviously not if you don't. None of the metal trimming you have to do to fit a 31 size shows!!! A separate detailed comparison between the Sears PM-1 and the Lifeline 31XT would be of benefit to decide between the two batteries, but based on a quick scan of the specs, it looks like the Lifeline 31XT has power characteristics that make it look superior for camping, and the Sears PM-1 has power characteristics that make it superior for vehicle starting. If these parameters are true, then the 31XT might be the best battery choice possible for Westfalia under the drivers seat since all of these batteries have enough CCA for the sorts of engines we install anyway. Maybe the PM-1 would be better when you have the stereo cranked up to 10,000 watts while you are winching though.

At 10:41 AM 5/2/2012, you wrote: >http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvdeepcyclebatteries.php > >Lifeline is perhaps the first step down from what most consider the best >available - the Rolls Surrette batteries - followed by Trojan. Reserve >capacity and cranking amps are mostly immaterial in choosing a true deep >cycle battery. The GPL-27T I am using is 100 a/h and will fit, length and >width wise, in the stock, unmodified box. Deepening or lengthening the box >to retain a stock appearance is important to me. The 'NC-27' battery you >refer to is an inexpensive Exide product and 'dual-purpose', i.e. not a true >HD deep cycle. > >Regarding charging: the link provided above seems to relate to >small-amperage chargers designed primarily to charge small batteries. >Xantrex makes several charge regulators for alternators: >http://xantrex.com/power-products/power-accessories/alternator-regulator.aspx >I plan to add one of these to my rig, since I'll be using two identical >GPL-27 batteries for storage (200a/h). Connecting this is a little more >difficult with a Bosch alternator but can be done. Also, there will be an >on-board charger (most likely an Iota) for the times when I have access to >110V power and want to top off the batteries. > >Karl

_______________________________________________ Derek Drew Washington DC / New York derekdrew@derekmail.com Email is best normally but... PHONE: 202-966-7907 (Call the number at left normally) (alt/cell for diligent calling only): 703-408-1532