Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2012 12:03:39 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front Grill Spray Paint Recommendations
Comments: To: Skip <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET>

Skip, glad you are still working on your van, getting it ready for the season.

I have been using the Rust-Oleum paint you are talking about except in Satin Black for Westy fiberglas bumpers and grills for a few years now (5). It is holding up and looking really well and I would highly recommend it. As with any type of paint, it is all about preparation. I usually use 3000 wet sand paper to sand any grills or even the bumpers if they just need a freshening up. This gets rid of any small imperfections, gives the paint a good surface to grip, and gives you a smooth end result in your finish. You should clean the surface with either some mineral spirits or surface cleaner that is for painting (I use Sikkens surface cleaner), it will dry really quickly and leave no residue behind. Then just put the paint on it thin even layers. A can should do a set of upper and lower grill with some left over. Two cans will do that and a front and rear bumper on a Westy including the side panels on the front doors.

I like the Satin because it really comes out as an almost semi-gloss look to it which I imagine is what the factory had on there in the first place.

If I can be of help to you in any way (parts or advice) as always feel free to call on me.

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: 856-327-4936 Fax: 856-327-2242

On 5/9/2012 9:51 AM, Skip wrote: > '84 Westy > > I have a new spray can of Rust-Oleum "Universal Advanced Formula" All-Surface Paint (wood, metal, plastic, masonry), Flat Black. > > No, Yes? What have others had success/most match original plastic grill(s) in terms of brand, type, flat/satin, etc? > > Thanks, > > Skip >