Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2012 10:20:18 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure gauges and engine life

Actually I think gauges are very useful to avoid major problems...not so much for other stuff, but for knowing when something has gone dreadfully wrong, suddenly....or when you are developing a 'problem' that may be corrected with a minor fix, thereby avoiding a catastrophic event with your vehicle.

The actual numbers or gauge-watching isn't really The Thing...it is more about the 'normal' indication of the instrument...

When you know your oil temp...say....normally runs at around 200f but you check the gauge and see it indicating 280 or 300f, you know you have something 'not normal' happening in there and you can do something about it ... or you can ignore it if you think 'so what, I can't do anything about THAT'....

A common practice with gauges in racecars is to orient the gauges so that all the needles point straight up during normal operation of the vehicle. Then, a quick glance at the bank of gauges will tell you if you need to even look more closely....if a needle is 'off' you can pick that up quickly with a visual scan. I know, it bothers some people's sense of 'rightness' to have a gauge 'twisted around' in the dash so that it is rotated with the zero way counterclockwise, but it makes it easy to detect possible problems at a glance.

Warning lights are limited to "good" "not good" and won't give you any more information than the engineer who specified it's range decided you need to know. Now they give us the wonderfull "Check Engine" light on newer cars, which means "Grab your credit car and your Smart Phone, call the Flatbed and take your rig to the dealer to have the engine checked" when perhaps you have a loose wire to some sensor somewhere that could easily be fixed with a twist of a screwdriver or a squeeze of the pliers...