Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2012 16:20:54 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Door locks only work when doors are closed?
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

why would anyone want to lock the door with the key with the door still open anyway ?

here is what is normal for all vanagons without central locking :

the passenger's front door ...you push the button down with door open, close the door , it's locked. No can do on driver's door ...to help prevent locking keys in the car.

on 85's and later with the improved sliding door ...you can lock the door, then close it. On 84's and earlier ..you can only lock the sliding door from the inside knob when the door is closed.. so have to reach around though the passenger's door to lock both those doors from outside the van.

I think ...on the rear hatch ...you can lock it with the key while it is open, and when you close it, it will be locked.

scott

On 5/9/2012 3:44 PM, craig cowan wrote: > if it's intentional, then how do I "BREAK" it so that it works as I'd like > it to (and how it has on all my other busses). On every bus i've owned, the > passanger side has always been able to be locked with the door open. > > -Craig > > > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Jamie Fitterer<fittdog8848@hotmail.com>wrote: > >> THat is exactly why I beleive. So you dont lock your keys in. >> > Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 17:15:46 -0400 >>> From: greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM >>> Subject: Re: Door locks only work when doors are closed? >>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>> >>> Our '84 is the same way for the drivers side door, but not the passenger >>> side door. >>> >>> I have always assumed it was to ensure that you don't lock your keys in >> the >>> car. >>> >>> >>> >>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM, craig cowan<phishman068@gmail.com> >> wrote: >>>> On my '87 syncro, which does not have power locks, I can only seem to >> lock >>>> the doors when they are closed. A key will only lock the door if it's >>>> closed, and the locking "button" can only be depressed with the door >>>> closed. >>>> This is proving to be extremely annoying and is not the case on my >> other >>>> two busses. >>>> This isn't normal right? >>>> How do I fix it? >>>> >>>> The doors lock and unlock fine and with little effort while closed >>>> though... >>>> >>>> -Craig >>>> '87 SUNROOF SYNCRO WESTY ZETEC >>>> '90 GL "NEW BUS" >>>> '85 Residence >>>> >>