Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2012 22:51:39 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Best way to judge life left in Waterboxer? Oil
              preesure-temparature guages!
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

One of the problems with the Waterboxer is that the lubrication system is marginal for pressure and temperature. As such it is possible, in fact quit easy to put the system into a thermal runaway causing oil pressure loss and the resulting engine failure such as a thrown rod or seizing a main bearing. Having a perfectly working cooling system will not ensure the oil doesn’t overheat to the point of failure. Any of the following conditions can cause a rpblem:

Excessive oil level Wrong viscosity High engine speed and/or load for an extended time.

With a well-designed oil temp and pressure guage system you will soon learn what is normal and how different conditions can cause changes. During extreme conditions you will see when it is time to back off before damage begins. You will also see if additional oil cooling is needed for you driving conditions.

Dennis

Thanks, Volks, for the insight into what to expect when a well-maintained and gently driven Waterboxer starts to reach the end of it's life, which appears to be in the 250,000 mile range or so.  What I'm taking from the discussions is that the exact number isn't so important or even known, too many variables.  But what is important is that there will be some warning beforehand:  the gradual appearance of the flickering red oil pressure LED.  The general feeling I'm getting is that catastrophic failure is still a few thousand miles down the road after the initial flickering begins; hopefully enough life left to hightail it (or limp) back home to San Diego from pretty much anywhere in the USA.

Rich San Diego