Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 May 2012 19:00:18 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Pressure Lamp?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

the oil pressure warning circuit on an 84 is pretty simple.. just one blue/black wire from the OP switch to the dash.

accessing the OP switch can be a bother if the push rod cover tin securing nuts or bolts are rusted in .. not a tricky circuit though. turn key on ........voltage flows through warning light because it 'sees' the ground supplied by the OP switch when there is no oil pressure. start engine ...that ground is 'removed' by oil pressure acting on the OP switch. I find dead OP switches semi-commonly lately, in 84's.

I'd look into the dash area since it was last worked on there. Very important to check all functions as soon as anything like the dash or instrument cluster is removed and put back in.

scott www.turbovans.com

On 5/10/2012 9:02 AM, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > So last weekend I pulled the dash and did R&R under there. Put it back > in. Over the past two evenings my son and I pulled the radiator and put > a new one in. We took the van for a test drive last night, no problems > noted. > > Today I start the van, the oil pressure lamp does not go out, the > tencentlife oil pressure gauge reads 60psi (very cold morning). > > My first reaction was puzzlement. Followed by "NOW what?" > > Ideas? > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > Bend, Ore. > 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. > 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer ca. 1972 from a defunct company in > San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia. >