Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 May 2012 20:15:44 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Let's Talk Coolant Drainage (long)

(I hesitate to post this. Anyone who is more than a casual reader of my posts knows that I am, at best, a poor mechanic. I have had to accept this fact. And here I reveal more of my lack of skill.)

With the invaluable help of my son, I replaced the radiator this week. In the evenings, after he got off work. What a guy.

Jim, this goes out to you: thank you.

So anyway, I wanted to really flush out the system before putting in new coolant. We let all the old coolant flow out from the rad hoses after pulling the old one. Zoltan suggested blowing compressed air into the expansion tank and we got about 4 gallons out.

Stuart suggested putting a drain tee into one of the heater lines, so we did that.

Before connecting the new rad, we connected the garden hose to the opening atop the expansion tank with a swell adapter I made from parts found around the hardware store. The water in Bend, Oregon, is from snowmelt and is very, very soft. Ran some water through the sytem then shut 'er down.

Then we connected the rad and before putting in coolant I wanted to flush the cooling system and learn how to bleed the system. So we set up a "Libby bong" and I started dumping in water. The bleeder on the rad was open. When the bubbling stopped, we closed that. Then I opened the engine compartment bleeder until it stopped bubbling.

According to my calculations, the cooling system should have had quite a bit of water in it, considering how much water I put into the bong.

So we opened the tee in the water line. No more than a gallon came out. I opened the rad bleeder, and maybe a cup (250ml) more came out.

We did this again, to the same result.

Decided to proceed and started putting in coolant. Knowing that the cooling system packs something under 5 gallons of coolant, I planned to put in about 2-1/3 gallons of coolant, followed by water.

The system didn't take even two gallons of coolant before it was full.

Clearly, I never drained anywhere near most of the old coolant.

I am puzzled. Oh -- the heater valve was open.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott Bend, Ore. 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer ca. 1972 from a defunct company in San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia.