Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 May 2012 21:44:12 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto trans wisdom please?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

I'd take a chance on the 500 dollar one. There's risk. I bought a used auto trans once.....'it ran fine two years ago when I pulled it.' It was pretty bad..pumped gear oil into the differential area .. but the first option doesn't sound that good. A good welder can weld a cast iron bell housing.. but keeping it perfectly to dimension is difficult. I had a really good welder friend weld a cast iron turbo diesel block for me once.. it came out perfect, like a 12 hour process of heating it, welding it, cooling it slowly for hours in sand. I had to 3 thousandths machine off the flywheel end to get it right. It was great after that though. Just saying ...cracked bell housing .. time to move on . I wonder if that model has the rare slightly higher gearing R & P. There are a few of those in and from Europe. That would make that R & P at least, valuable.

scott

On 5/7/2012 2:25 PM, David Beierl wrote: > I've got an '89 White Star with ~160k miles on it. First gear whined > when I got it, and very soon after it started being reluctant to > shift out of first on the first start in the morning. Transmission > serviced, no difference. ~15k later, over this past winter first > gear is louder, second is starting to whine, morning sickness is > worse. Otherwise behaves beautifully. > > Local highly recommended transmission guy put it up, noted > non-standard bolts (double-nutted studs, looked like to me) on right > side, right side 2-3 mm separation from engine, noticeable leakage > from final drive. Bell housing is cracked, believed weldable. > > I have a line on a complete drive unit removed with engine from a > body-rotted '89/90 three years ago, engine still running well in > another van. Stated to be in good running order at the > time. Available $500 at the shop in South County where I used to > take my '84 back before I found the list. New owner but lots of vans > in the yard. > > I don't feel up to R&R right now. Estimated cash price by > transmission guy or by my local shop ~$400. > > Suggested courses of action? The German Transaxle unit is out of my > reach at this point. > > Thanks, > David > > -- > David Beierl -- dbeierl@attglobal.net >