Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2012 15:04:50 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: more information on engine swap/fuel pump woes
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>

Hi, I have read that the tests in Bentley on a Hall Sender are not that definitive.

I like to have 5 good reasons to change a part ...like want to be sure it's really needed .. on this one 2.1 waterboxer though .. we just had to go with new Hall Sender finally ..and that was it.

scott www.turbovans.com

On 5/10/2012 10:54 PM, Robert Fisher wrote: > Thanks, I'll try that. I've been leery of the hall sender since the phantom > no spark episode a while back... It tested out ok according to the tips and > tricks that I gleaned from the list, but I've wondered about it all along. > I have no idea how old it is. I have another one that I can try if it > warrants it. I'll do the troubleshooting according to Hoyle tomorrow and > see what that gets me. I just jumped to the pump since it obviously wasn't > functioning normally in situ. > > On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans< > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> here is a very nice super simple fuel pump 'power to it' trick. >> requires only one tool.. >> a small screw driver or even a paper clip. >> >> don't even need the keys for the van. >> this is to run the fuel pump .. >> downstream of all relays and switches that control it. >> as a test. >> >> open rear hatch, >> remove engine cover lid >> remove cover from relay box on left side. >> the Fuel Pump relay is the right one. >> ( heck ..a body could use this trick to pump old gas out of a parts van >> say ..before that gas gets too old ) . >> >> jump, with your small screw driver the top wire and the very bottom wire . >> ( this routes Batt voltage on the red wire, to the double white wire on >> the bottom ) . >> >> if that makes your FP run ...and your fuel pump doesn't run otherwise >> when it should .. >> you can figure the fuel pump , the wires, and its ground are working. >> >> on one 2.1 waterboxer I dealt with .. >> intermittent no-start. >> you could also drive it 9 miles with no problems.. >> but then ..intermittently ......wouldn't fire up, no ignition. >> >> that one turned out to be a Hall Sender in the distributor. >> New one of those fixed it very nicely. >> >> scott >> www.turbovans.com >> >> On 5/10/2012 7:53 PM, Robert Fisher wrote: >> >> Here we go again. Van had been running normally for a while after fixing >> (?) my no-spark issue. Then (much later) it began to have little >> hesitations; a very brief, but seemingly complete loss of power while >> driving. It never killed the engine- sometimes it didn't happen at all, >> sometimes it happened a lot. This kept up over several tanks of gas. It >> usually only happened after the first mile of driving if it was cold, but >> once or twice happened almost immediately after taking off. We couldn't >> work out a consistent pattern. If anything it seemed to happen the most >> when driving on a north/south road. Go figure. >> >> I ran it with and without the O2 sensor, no change. I checked a bunch (but >> not all) of the wires and grounds. Nothing obvious jumped out. Eventually >> it tapered off and just quit doing it; neither of us has noticed it for >> more than ten days. This is my only daily driver at the moment so it's hard >> to get any decent block of time to troubleshoot. >> >> Well I have all the time I can find now 'cause it stopped running again. My >> wife drove my daughter to school at oh-dark-thirty for a field trip; the >> van ran absolutely normally. When she got back in it to come home, it >> cranked but wouldn't start. When I got to the van I looked it over for the >> usual suspects I didn't see anything obvious so I tried to start it. I >> immediately noticed the lack of 'buzz' from the fuel pump. No vibration at >> all when the key is turned to first position or when cranking. Put the >> meter on it and got no voltage, so we dragged it home. >> >> I pulled the pump and put 12v to it. It spun up, no unusual noises or other >> noticeable issues. I ran it in reverse for a few seconds just for GP, all >> seemed well so I put it back in. On having my wife crank the van there was >> no voltage again with the key in first position, but I got 10.~ volts when >> cranking. However the pump didn't feel like it was running and of course >> the van didn't start. >> >> I'm going to go through the Bentley and try some of the tips in this thread >> tomorrow; I'm just running out of daylight now and I wanted to get this >> written down before I forgot something. >> >> Anything jump to anyone's mind for when I get back on it? >> >> TIA, >> >> Cya, >> >> Robert >> >> '87& '86 2.1/Auto GLs >> >> >> > > -- > Cya, > Robert > > '87& '86 2.1/Auto GLs >