Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 May 2012 12:30:27 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: High Pressure Oil Switch Wire; Tethered to Switch. OEM? PIC
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

hi.. 'yes' is the answer. they all originally had the wire wire-tied to the sender itself.. since there are pulleys and belts and things like that spinning around nearby.

why didn't you say what your real goal is ?

very likely the sender and small harness to it are original to that engine. Almost everyone I've ever seen on a 2.1 looks like it's been there forever. that won't tell too much about if that very engine block is the original one though.

it's pretty easy to tell when the heads have been replaced .. either by the newish appearance of the rubber gaskets .. or by them being AMC heads.

the other way .. which is what really matters.. is by oil pressure. whether the block is the original or not .. what really matters is how healthy the rod and main bearings in it are.

I thought someone said what Bentley has for a min oil pressure spec... Couldn't find it just now .. I would say .. fully warmed up ( coolant temp 180 F ) 'for a while' say at least 20 minutes running under load fully and well warmed up, with 20W50 engine oil, oil pressure at 2,500 to 3,000 rpm should be at least something like 22 psi .. like that would be minimum acceptable. you see something like 12 to 15 psi under those conditions... not good.

scott www.turbovans.com

On 5/11/2012 11:34 PM, neil n wrote: > Hey Scott. > > My question: > > Ignoring the fact that the wire obviously connects electrically to > this high pressure switch, did the VW factory (Hanover or wherever) > attach the wire running to the high pressure switch, to the body of > the switch? Like did it come this way from the factory? > > I see David's logic. Makes sense. > > In part I'm just curious, as it seems an odd way to do things (can't > easily get a socket over the part w/o harming the wire. One could > remove the wire at the 2 connector plug I guess), and, I'm trying to > determine if the engine is original. The wiring harness looks like it > was replaced; all white wires going to fuel injector plugs, cable > straps holding harness to engine bay metal, harness itself looks > "new". > > The oil pressure switch wire is a minor detail, but given that there > may be a new wiring harness on this engine, I'm trying to nail down if > this engine actually has the same miles as the van itself. > > Neil. > > > > On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans > <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > >> yes, picture was hard to tell what's what. >> >> what is the question though ? >> >> the 'normal' low rpm OP switch is between the push rod tubes, on the left >> side, under the push rod cover tin . >> Normally you remove the tin.. >> then the OP switch with wire plugged on to it, is right in front of you. >> >> then you test or do whatever you are going to do there with it. >> >> On 5/11/2012 6:32 PM, neil n wrote: >> >> P.S. >> >> Occurred to me I should describe the image a little. >> >> Image is looking down toward muffler, mirror showing the oil high >> pressure switch spade connector. You can see a bit of the brown wire >> and how it's tethered to the switch. >> >> Thanks >> >> Neil. >> >> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM, neil n<musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> >> Hi all. >> >> Is this OEM? >> >> Image: >> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-c_Gkr6UXuYE/T620qI85PTI/AAAAAAAAFww/NNFqEKSq0j8/s720/Hi%2520Pressure%2520Oil%2520Switch%2520Wire%25201988%2520Westy.jpg >> >> > >