Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 May 2012 12:43:11 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Putting a 2.1L where my 1.9L used to be......
Comments: To: Paul <wognacious@GMAIL.COM>

every single part swaps over onto the 2.1 long block.

it won't be quite as good as a 2.1 with 2.1 exhaust system and 2.1 intake on it would be, but it'll work.

one reason to use the 2.1 exhaust is then you can have a 2.1 oil cooler/heat exchanger on it . ( which can be interfaced with the 1.9 cooling system ) there are quite a few parts to the 2.1 exhaust system though .. perhaps 10 parts .. including the rear aluminum rubber engine mount carrier .. it has holes in it for 2.1 muffler support brackets. if you could get all those parts 'good used' it wouldn't be too bad ..cost wise. new though ... it would be a lot of bucks for sure. You can also upgrade all that later too.

the 1.9 exhaust system, muffler, and bracketry is rather mickey mouse compared to the 2.1 system actually.

it's nice to upgrade to a heated oxygen sensor too.

have fun ! scott turbovans

On 5/12/2012 9:46 AM, Paul wrote: > I'm considering putting a 2.1 under the lid where my 1.9 currently resides. > My question is what stuff is interchangeable, if any, or do I need to get > things like all new exhaust and what about the cooling system, wiring > harness etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Time is running out > for my 1.9 and I would hate to have to deal a catastrophic breakdown on > some highway, or lowway for that matter. > TIA, > Pablo > 85 Westy >