Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 May 2012 20:31:28 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Temp Gauge -- why did this happen?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

on an 84.. if the level sensor goes off, it also pegs the temp gauge.

I just tested that on an 84 myself today, to be certain. it's changed in later vans.. so level sensing and temp needle position are not intertwined like they are on a 83, 84, and I suspect some early 85's.

scott turbovans

On 5/8/2012 7:52 PM, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > So we dropped the leaky radiator on my 1.9 and set the hoses to drooling > into a bucket. Only a few quarts (litres) came out. The cap was off the > expansion tank. > > My son suggested starting the engine for a bit to pump out some more > coolant. I reckoned it couldn't hurt (watch: I bet I'm wrong) so I > started the engine. > > Within a few moments the temp gauge started climbing. Obviously the > engine, which had been on for fewer than 15 seconds, was overheating. > > So what was the gauge reading? > > IN OTHER NEWS, I plan to run a couple loads of distilled water to flush > out more gunk before we connect the rad and put in coolant. > > But if only a gallon or so comes out through passive droolage then that > ain't gonna work. So I tried a trick that Zoltan told me about: stuck my > air compressor nozzle into the top of the expansion tank, sealed the gap > with a shop rag, and blew some air in. > > A lot more coolant came out, but not the nearly five gallons my owner's > manual says is in the system. > > Other than disconnecting hoses from the friggin' water pump which I will > /not/ do willingly (the 1.9 doesn't make it easy to get to them), is > there something else I can do to get a more complete flush? > > The van is parked with the nose slightly elevated. It could be pushed > off the ramps to lower the nose if that would help. > > Suggestions from anyone other than David Bereil are welcome. He told me > to test the new radiator by jamming a screwdriver through the coils. I'm > not sure I can trust him any more. > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > Bend, Ore. > 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. > 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer ca. 1972 from a defunct company in > San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia. >