Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2012 13:04:35 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Temp Gauge -- why did this happen?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

At 11:44 AM 5/9/2012, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >Yeah, I don't know who that David "Bereil" fellow is. Probably >related to the various poeple who pose as me but invariably drop >either an "l" or a "t," or both, from my last name.

I know one of those guys. Two ells, one tee. He's a shrink, and a good one. He looks about sixteen and the ladies swoon when they see him coming. Your cousin maybe?

>And I bet the controller lives buried deep within the dash.

Ah, it's over on the left side above the star grounds. Would have been easier with the dash off, but you can manage by some combination of dropping the relay panel (don't pinch that big red wire when you put it back), and/or pulling the instrument panel. It's rather stiff in the socket, you'll have to wiggle it back and forth to work it loose.

> The very dash that I pulled and re-installed this weekend and said > I would /never/ do again without a really good reason. No sir, I > ain't gonna do it. Besides, I bet a blinker light PLUS a > skyrocketing gauge will increase the odds I will spot it.

When the Navy found that fighter pilots would sometimes land with the gear up they installed a nasty loud warning horn. Pilots would still sometimes land with the gear up, so eventually they ditched the horn and installed a sexy female voice instead. Pilots still sometimes land with the gear up. Not sure what Boeing would do about that, but Airbus Industrie would simply have the plane take over command and go up instead of down in that case.

>Sigh. Well, pulling the instrument cluster isn't nearly as difficult >as the dash.

Well said. ;-) I do hope you remember that said gauge contains a thiotimoline* cascade which activated on 8 September 2011, showing that you installed the gauge and added the water on 8 May 2012. I need hardly remind you that if you fail to do this the entire causal structure of the universe will be radically altered, likely including significant effects on Planck's Constant and the binding force of the electron.

*See Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline, Asimov, I, 1948

Yours, David