Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 May 2012 20:16:47 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trimming
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

At 06:52 PM 5/20/2012, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >So what exactly is the problem with replies to posts where lots of text, >sometimes for 5 exchanges , is left on ?

a) it makes the list function poorly. b) it's contrary to general Internet etiquette. c) it's against list policy.

>is it a technical issue ..like it fills up storage capacity somewhere ? >( understandable )

fills up storage. dramatically slows archive searches. creates multiple false hits in archive searches. makes digests (where large numbers of messages are combined into one email) very difficult to read. costs Tom C a lot of extra money for the bandwidth he donates to the list. makes the list harder and more expensive to retrieve with a dialup or satellite connection.

>or it is it just that it bothers some people that a lot is left on ?

Let me rephrase that as "is it a social issue?"

Every factor listed above including the lettered list I began with creates frustration and/or decreased utility and/or increased expense for somebody; so ultimately these are all social costs. I'll just elaborate on one of them:

The list is designed to be lean, fast and searchable. It's meant to be able to help you when you're stuck on top of a mountain in Bogota with a $6/minute satphone as well as sitting in your comfy chair with a 20 mb/s fiber connection as I am right now. That doesn't mean it's a gearhead's list; it's not. It's a community list, and your satphone is going to take a hit with community stuff that's probably not of great interest to you with your butt hanging off the mountain in the rain. But it shouldn't take an unnecessary hit with bloat.

>I'll say what I sure do not appreciate.. >is a response to something with no indication of what or to whom the >person writing is responding to.

Frustrating, isn't it?

Intelligent quoting (what I'm doing in this post) isn't free. It takes effort and thought. That's a cost to you, a contribution you make to good functioning of the list. The list benefits because your reply will probably be better thought-out, it will be clear exactly what points you're responding to, and there won't be a lot of wasted "bandwidth" (which I'm co-opting to mean all the technical and social costs I've mentioned). People will find your posts easy to read and understand, and it will be clear to all that you care about the list and its workings and are considerate of its members, even if they don't articulate it to themselves. You benefit from the good feelings generated thereby, and by the effect that your example has on improving the general standard of posting from which you and everyone else benefit.

Warm fuzzies all over. :)

Yours, David