Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 May 2012 11:24:23 -0500
From:         Jon Durham <jon_durham@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Which Engine To Install and by Whom
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>

What is the opinion on these engines?

http://foreignautosupply.com/

On 5/15/2012 11:11 AM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > I'm investigating this too. > > The problem with your question is that given an infinite amount of time and > money you can do just about anything. Here is my personal favorite, but it's > not so good for a camper: > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD2tYiyX_sE&feature=channel&list=UL > > In my mind there are only two options for a normal person. The Bostig kit > (www.bostig.com) , which is the only turnkey kit available and uses all new > parts. You can get a brand new Zetec crate engine for a grand plus $150 > shipping: > http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-FOCUS-ZETEC-2-0-LITER-16V-DOHC-ENGINE-2000- > 2004-/290711119875?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43afbba803 > &vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1023 or a used one for $250. Every bit of this install > is new, with the exception of the power steering pump which they recommend > getting used. Bostig support seems to be good. You also have the benefit of > an OBD2 diagnostic system, and an engine that is cheaper to replace than it > is to fix. (Think about that for a minute. You could keep a spare in the > garage!) > > The other well documented swap is the Subaru 1995-96 2.2 SOHC engine. > Kennedy Engineered Products (http://www.kenneYadyenginc.com) has an adapter > kit, but you must get all the ancillary parts as well as the engine from a > donor car and there is a lot of fabricating and fiddling. If you follow the > Subaru Vanagon Yahoo! list like I have you will see there appears to be > endless fiddling with most Subaru installs. You also need to fabricate a > custom wire loom from the stock loom (several hours work alone). It's > getting hard to find low mileage engines now (trust me and I don't think > 100k is low mileage). > These engines have the early OBD1, which is at least of some use. > > They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but none are as bad as > the waterboxer. It was a flawed plan right from the beginning to convert an > air cooled engine into a water cooled engine simply by casting water jackets > on the case and adding new heads. The longevity of this engine is in > inverse proportion to the power it puts out as well with the 1.9 being the > longest lived by far, maybe by as much as a factor of 2 over the 2.1. > > Plan on being your own mechanic with any conversion, unless you can find a > pro who will install and service it. If you do it yourself, you will > probably be happier with the install simply because you will have invested a > lot of time in making it work well. > > There are shops all over the country that will install one or the other for > you, and the total cost for a pro install for either is about the same here > (Seattle). I expect you could do the Subaru yourself cheaper than the > Bostig, but time is money too! > > Good luck! > > Stuart > '85 Westy, time constrained and leaning towards the Bostig > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Jon Durham > Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 4:38 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Which Engine To Install and by Whom > > As best I can tell, to get more horses, there is a 2.1 WB, a 2.2 WB, a > Subaru, and a Ford engine to replace my 1.9L engine in my 85 Vanagon. > > I would like to get opinions on the engines and recommendations as to who is > good for installing the engines. > > Cheers > -- > "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." > Anatole France > >

-- "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France